Bail application in Otjomuise murder case starting in two weeks

07 Aug 2018 13:40pm
WINDHOEK, 07 AUG (NAMPA) - An Otjomuise resident who allegedly shot and killed his 29-year-old girlfriend at the beginning of October last year, is scheduled to begin in the Magistrate’s Court in Katutura in two weeks’ time.
The hearing of the formal bail application by accused Erastus Heita was scheduled to begin on Tuesday, but could not proceed because the magistrate assigned to preside over the case is attending a workshop on the prevention of organised criminal activities.
Heita, 42, made another appearance before Magistrate Johannes Shuuveni on Tuesday morning when he was informed that the hearing of his formal bail application will only begin on 20 August 2018 when the magistrate assigned to his case is back from the POCA workshop.
The formal bail application is brought before court in terms of the provisions of Section 51 of Namibia’s Criminal Procedures Act of 1977.
Public Prosecutor Idda Hertha Itembu appeared for the prosecution.
Heita, who is still in police custody, was on 03 October last year refused bail when he made his first appearance in the same court that day.
At the time, public prosecutor Victoria Thompson strongly objected to the granting of bail because of the seriousness and complexity of the murder charge he faces.
Other reasons for the refusal of bail were that it would not be in the interests of the administration of justice and public to release Heita on bail at that stage as police investigations into the matter were still at a premature stage.
Privately-instructed defence lawyer Kadhila Amoomo will represent Heita during the bail bid later this month.
The incident that claimed the life of Maria Megameno Kamati on 02 October 2017, occurred around 06h30 in 7de Laan in Windhoek’s Otjomuise residential area.
The Namibian Police told Nampa at the time the deceased and suspected killer allegedly had a heated argument at their flat prior to the incident.
He allegedly shot Kamati in the head with a nine millimetre Russian-made Makarov pistol.
Heita handed himself over to the police.
Heita and Kamati were reportedly in a nine-year relationship and had two children.