Man dies in shack fire

24 Jun 2018 10:50am
WINDHOEK, 24 JUN (NAMPA) – A 25-year-old man died after the shack he was sleeping in caught fire at the Agste Laan informal settlement in Windhoek on Saturday.
Namibian Police Force spokesperson, Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi confirmed the incident to Nampa on Saturday, stating it occurred at 05h00.
It is alleged that the deceased entered his shack, which he also uses as a cucashop and switched on the gas hotplate to cook something to eat.
He reportedly fell asleep, which caused the pot to burn, resulting in the fire.
“When people in neighbouring shacks heard the explosion of the gas, they ran to rescue him, but unfortunately the shack was locked from inside,” said George Kavari, a member of the Khomasdal Constituency Development Committee.
The deceased has been identified as Uaumba Kavena and his next of kin have been informed.
(NAMPA)
UT/HP/PS