Seventh round of reparation negotiations slated for Windhoek

18 Jun 2018 17:50pm
WINDHOEK, 18 JUN (NAMPA) – The seventh round of the reparation negotiations between Namibia and Germany will resume after the working groups have met, Namibia’s genocide reparations special envoy, Zed Ngavirue has said.
He announced this on Sunday during the 122nd commemoration of the battle of Otjunda at Okahandja, where he issued an update on those negotiations.
The working groups, which are composed of Germans and Namibians, will have to assess progress on some agreements within the negotiations and give feedback to the negotiators before the next round of meetings. These will be held in Windhoek on a date yet to be set.
Ngavirue explained that the negotiations are not about fighting the German government, but to make the Germans understand that what they did was wrong.
“People should understand that we are not at war with the Germans, but our aim is to make them understand that what they did was wrong,” he said, adding that all the evidence submitted to the Germans was not disputed at all.
Ngavirue informed the gathering that the German government through the negotiations have accepted reparations, but not as a punishment, and they also promised to apologise through the Office of the President.
The special envoy could, however, not hide his dissatisfaction about the divisions amongst the affected communities and called on them to reconcile before the next round of talks.
Leader of the Ovambanderu, Chief Kilus Munjuku III Nguvauva at the commemoration event assured Ngavirue that his community is fully supporting the government in the negotiations. He also appealed to his community to do anything in support of the development of Namibia.
Some members of the Ovaherero, Nama and Ovambanderu communities from Botswana last week visited Vice President, Nangolo Mbumba, to appraise themselves of the negotiations and pledged their support for the ongoing negotiations between the two governments.
(NAMPA)
UT/EK/PS