Road safety campaign held at Otavi District

24 May 2018 19:30pm
OTAVI, 24 MAY (NAMPA) – The Namibian Police Force, Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) Fund and Ohorongo Cement on Thursday held a road safety campaign at a temporary police roadblock on the B1 road near the cement factory in the Otavi District.
Otavi Police Station Commander, Chief Inspector Petrus Shipepe, joined by officials of MVA and Ohorongo Cement informed motorists about safe driving.
It was organised and sponsored by the cement company.
Shipepe told Nampa that about 1 000 motorists passed through the roadblock between 09h00 and 15h00 on Thursday.
Motorists received tips on safe driving and breathalyser tests were conducted.
“We also inspected the roadworthiness of their vehicles and driver’s licences,” he said.
Shipepe said by 09h00 the traffic flow was heavy, mainly due to people going away for the long weekend.
“We urged them to drive with caution at all times, and also adhere to the road signs and markings,” he said.
By lunchtime on Thursday, traffic fines had been issued to three drivers for operating vehicles with expired driver’s licences and for failing to comply with general traffic rules.
Ohorongo Cement Environmental and Safety Co-ordinator, Junge Jansen on his part said it is the national duty of all Namibians to ensure that the roads are safe.
Thirty officials of the Otavi Police, Ohorongo and MVA Fund participated in the campaign.
(NAMPA)
MS/AS/HP