MPs hopeful over MWT budget

19 May 2018 10:20am
WINDHOEK, 19 MAY (NAMPA) – Members of the National Council (NC) this week expressed mixed feelings toward the budgetary allocation of N.dollars 3.4 billion to the Ministry of Works and Transport (MWT), with some hoping that it will cater for “frozen projects”.
Making his contribution to the ministry’s budget allocation in the NC on Tuesday, Swapo Councillor for Kabbe South Constituency in Zambezi Region, John Likando said his region has its own natural challenges, adding that seasonal floods that run for more than six months require river transport as a significant part of the region is only accessible by water.
According to him, the number of flood-related deaths this year alone is stands at thirteen people so far.
The Councillor added that eight schools and some businesses remain closed due to the floods, affecting both learners and business people as a result.
Likando also expressed dissatisfaction with the standard of roads being constructed in the country, especially those in his region.
“We have seen all small culverts in our region have been washed away this year,” he said.
Aminuis Constituency Councillor, Peter Kazongominja in his contribution to the MWT budget allocation said he is concerned about the supervision of road contractors.
“There is no one monitoring. The contractors are there on their own and that is public money put on those project,” he said.
According to Kazongominja, the Councillors in Omaheke region are excluded in these road projects.
“We are told that these road projects are under Governor's office, hence, we are exclude,” he said.
He also said that the culture of changing roads engineers is a concern and that it compromises the quality of the roads constructed.
Oshikunde Constituency Councillor in Ohangwena, Loina Kaishungu highlighted to the house on the national projects that were withdrawn by the ministry.
She cited the suspension of work at Elundo –Okasholo road via Epembe DR 3602, Oupili- Onhula national Code 18253 for last year and this year respectively.
According to her, the Ohangwena Regional council made resolution last year for such projects to be a priority but was suspended.
(NAMPA)
ZN/HP