Civics eliminates Tura Magic from Debmarine Namibia Cup

28 Apr 2018 12:30pm
WINDHOEK, 28 APR (NAMPA) – Civics Football Club (FC) beat Tura Magic FC 4-3 on penalties to progress to the semi-finals of the 2018 Debmarine Namibia Cup in match played at the Sam Nujoma Stadium in the capital on Friday evening.
The match had ended 1-1 during regulation time and the teams had to be separated by the spot kicks.
Civics started the game well with the tournament’s current leading goal scorer, Donald Geiseb, causing all sorts of problems for the Magicians’ defense.
It was however Matheus Halupe who broke the deadlock in the 40th minute when he nodded the ball into the net following a goal mouth melee after Magic failed to clear a corner kick.
Civics led the match 1-0 at half time.
Magic coach James Britz then made two changes at halftime, bringing on Osvaldo Xamseb and Riuoua Kamuteuzu, which proved to be the turning point for his team.
They started dominating the midfield and that led to them finding the equaliser on the 65th minute through hard running Junius Theophilus.
Magic took the game by the scruff of the neck and started creating chances but were let down by poor finishing and wayward passing in the final third of the pitch.
Sensing danger, Civics coach Brian Isaacs brought in veteran defender cum midfielder Marvin Katire in the last 15 minutes to stabilise his rattled defence.
The match ended 1-1.
Civics converted four of their five penalties through Katire, Ignatius Horaseb, Robison Iyambo and Geiseb.
Tobias Uushona had his spot kick saved by young Magic goalkeeper Mervin Kasetura.
Magic missed two panalties through captain Xamseb and Vice-captain Charles Hambira while Unomasa Tjitaura, Itamunua Keimuine and Romeo Kasume all converted.
Speaking after the match, Britz said he knew that penalties would favour Civics as they have experienced players compared to his young side.

“First half was bad for us. We did not pitch up and hence we were lucky to concede just one goal. We changed things a bit in the second half by bringing in two experienced midfielders and we started to play,” he said.
Isaacs agreed with his opposite number, saying had the second half continued his side would have lost.
On Saturday there are three more matches starting at 15h00 with Golden Bees FC facing Black Africa FC before University of Namibia (UNAM) FC and Blue Waters FC clash at 17h00.
The final quarterfinal match will be between Eleven Arrows FC and African Stars FC at 19h00.
All the games will be played at the Sam Nujoma Stadium.