Elimination of toilet bucket system attainable: Geingob
11 Apr 2018 20:10pm
WINDHOEK, 11 APR (NAMPA) - Access to decent sanitation and ablution is a matter of human dignity, hence Government has embarked on the elimination of the bucket toilet system under the Harambee Prosperity Plan.
This was said by President Hage Geingob during his State of the Nation Address on Wednesday.
Geingob said out of 1 856 identified bucket toilets in the Hardap, //Kharas, Otjozondjupa and Omaheke regions, 876 bucket toilets were replaced with modern toilets. A further 533 toilets are under construction.
According to a 2016 report from the governors office, Hardap is one of the regions severely hit by the shortage of sanitation facilities, with approximately 35 per cent of households having sanitation facilities.
The same report said a staggering 50 per cent of inhabitants of the Rehoboth Rural Constituency do not have access to sanitation facilities.
The situation is worse in Schlip, a settlement in the Rehoboth Rural Constituency, where an estimated 1 500 people reside and only 1 per cent of the population has access to sanitation facilities, with the remaining population being forced to resort to defecation in the open.
Under the Harambee Prosperity Plan launched by President Geingob in 2016, a rural toilet project in all 14 regions was outlined.
Under the project, N.dollars 2,3 million was allocated to the Hardap Region, of which the regional council built 128 toilets in areas such as Mariental Rural (17); Mariental Urban (16); the Gibeon Constituency (22); Daweb Constituency (29); Rehoboth Rural (16); Rehoboth Urban West (nine) and Rehoboth Urban East (19).
These toilets were completed in July last year.