27 Feb 2018 15:40pm
WINDHOEK, 27 FEB (NAMPA) The first vice president of the Namibia Football Association (NFA), Naftal Ngalangi says the recent spat between the associations president, Frans Mbidi, and its secretary general, Barry Rukoro, will be dealt with internally.
Speaking at the launch of the 2018 Namibia Newspaper Cup in Windhoek on Tuesday, Ngalangi said the recent war of words between the two top-ranking officials had damaged the reputation of the institution.
Rest assured that the NFA executive committee are working around the clock to address this matter with the urgency it deserves, and to ensure that the name of football will be restored according to NFA statutes and guidelines, he stressed.
He added that as football administrators, the NFA holds football stakeholders and Namibians in high esteem, hence the decision to revert to the boardroom to resolve the spat.
Mbidi and Rukoro have been involved in a war of words through the media in the past two weeks, following allegations that the latter assaulted Confederation of South African Football Associations (Cosafa) president, Philip Chiyangwa, in South Africa two weeks ago.
This follows the initial pronouncements by Mbidi last month that Rukoro will not be offered a new contract when his current deal expires at the end of March.
Mbidi is said to have informed Cosafa of his decision not to renew Rukoros contract during an executive meeting, a situation which the secretary-general did not take lightly.
Rukoro has in turn accused Mbidi of taking a purely national issue to regional and international platforms rather than resolving it within the parameters of Namibia.
The Chief Administrator of the Namibia Sports Commission, Freddy Mwiya, has also promised to rein in the two football officials by acting as a mediator in the impasse.
Meanwhile, Ngalangi has reaffirmed the NFAs continued support to the Namibian Newspaper Cup and said the competition gives Under-20 players an opportunity to learn from each other.