Baby dies in shack fire at Okahandja

26 Feb 2018 08:10am
OTJIWARONGO, 26 FEB (NAMPA) – A one-year-old baby died after a shack she was sleeping in at Okahandja caught fire and burned down on Friday night.
Spokesperson of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) in the Otjozondjupa Region, Warrant Officer Maureen Mbeha told Nampa on Sunday that the baby has been identified as Elries Eises.
The incident occurred at about 23h30 at the Nau-Aib informal settlement.
“We suspect a candle caused the fire. The little girl was sleeping in the shack with both her parents and two siblings when a vicious fire engulfed their house,” Mbeha said.
The 28-year-old mother, 58-year-old father and two siblings of the deceased suffered serious burns and were admitted to the Okahandja State Hospital the same day of the incident.
On Sunday afternoon the four were reported to be in a stable condition at the hospital.
An inquest docket has been opened at the Okahandja Police Station and investigations into the matter continue.
(NAMPA)
MS/HP/PS