Namweya sent to jail for 32 years

18 Nov 2013 17:50pm
WINDHOEK, 18 NOV (NAMPA) - A man arrested in September 2009 for killing his former girlfriend and assaulting community members of the Okahandja Park informal settlement, has been sent to jail for an effective 32 years.
The 42-year-old Namweya was sentenced on Monday by High Court Judge Naomi Shivute, after he was last week found guilty on a count of murder and two charges of assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
The two counts of assault were all dealt with according to the provisions of the Combating of Domestic Violence Act, No. 03 of 2003.
On the count of murder, when he stabbed his former girlfriend Monica Kakweno Wilhelm seven times with a knife on 28 September 2009, Namweya was sentenced to 30 years imprisonment.
He got two years on each of the two counts of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, when he assaulted Peneyambeko Nangula Tobias and other members of the community with a knife at Okahandja Park informal settlement between 09 and 28 September 2009.
In addition, it was ordered that the sentence of two years imposed on the second count of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm should run concurrently with the same punishment of two years imposed on the first count of assault.
In the end, Namweya was, therefore, sentenced to an effective total of 32 years imprisonment.
“You showed no remorse for the gruesome and senseless killing of your former girlfriend Monica Kakweno Wilhelm during the whole trial. You showed no regard for the loss of the human life and you showed no respect to women in general. Therefore, a person who shows no regard for human life and the abuse of women should not expect the court to show some kind of mercy for him when imposing punishment. I am, therefore, of the opinion that a long prison term will be an appropriate punishment in this matter,” said Judge Shivute before sentencing.
Namweya had opted to remain silent, and did not testify under oath after the State closed its case in the matter.
He denied any involvement and knowledge in the murder and assaults when he entered pleas of not guilty to the three charges against him at the start of his trial.
Evidence presented by the State before court had it that Namweya was arrested as a result of the active involvement of the Youth Against Crime team in the Okahandja Park informal settlement.
He was arrested after he had assaulted victim Tobias and several other women of the Okahandja Park community, who had spearheaded a march to the Katutura Magistrate's Court 2009 whilst protesting the alleged brutal killing of Wilhelm.
On the two charges of assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm, Namweya is said to have blinded a community member in one eye when he stabbed him with a knife.
On the charge of murder, he stabbed deceased Wilhelm seven times with a knife.
It is reported that deceased Wilhelm became a victim while she was trying to protect a close friend (Peneyambeko Nangula Tobias) against an assault by Namweya.
Namweya was at a later stage released from police custody on bail of N.dollars 500 when he brought a formal bail application before the Windhoek Magistrate's Court in Katutura.
Thereafter, he assaulted several women who had taken part in the march against him following the death of Wilhelm.
After spending some months in custody at the Wanaheda Police Station, he was released on a warning in November 2009.
Shortly after his release on warning, Namweya continued where he left off, looking for the demonstrating women to “finish them off one by one”.
State Advocate Jack Eixab represented the prosecution in the trial.
Windhoek-based defence lawyer Titus Mbaeva represented Namweya, acting on the instructions of the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid.
Namweya will serve his punishment at the Windhoek Central Prison.
He is a first offender with no record of previous convictions against him.
(NAMPA)
SKE/JK