NPL coaches ready for league resumption

13 Feb 2018 12:20pm
By Maqonda Ndlovu
WINDHOEK, 13 Feb (NAMPA) – Several Namibia Premier League (NPL) Coaches say their teams are ready for the resumption of the 2017/2018 season following a two month break necessitated by the festive season and the Brave Warriors’ participation in the 2018 African Nations Championship (Chan) in Morocco in January.
Speaking to Nampa on Tuesday, Woody Jacobs, the defending champions, Tigers Football Club (FC) coach said his teams is better prepared this time, compared to the first round.
“The time for us to prepare was ample, we worked on a lot of aspects, from physical fitness to tactics. I am looking forward to the start of the second round, as compared to last time around where we were caught with our pants down,” he said.
He added that Tigers fans should expect a better showing as compared to the first round, saying he has strengthened the team with new exciting players and that he released some players who he feels will not add value to his team.
Tigers, who aim to finish either fourth or fifth according to Jacobs, played almost eight friendly matches during the mid-season break, travelling as far as Okahandja and Mariental to test their strength.
Tigers take on Citizens FC on Friday before clashing with UNAM FC on Sunday.
Fillemon ‘Kaskas’ Angula, the interim coach of Young Chiefs FC from Oshakati did not mince his words saying his team’s main objective is to survive relegation.
“Preparations have gone smoothly. We have brought in four players and lost Bryan Bantam who has relocated back to Windhoek. We are aiming to do better than the first round,” he stated, expressing optimism about survival this season.
George Ochurub of Citizens FC said his team’s preparations have gone well and that they are ready to fight for the top five position by end the season.
“We signed five players during the break, two from lower division and three from outside the country to beef up the squad,” he said.
Ivan Namaseb, the Orlando Pirates FC coach meanwhile said they have targeted a top four or five finish.
“We have brought in four players who had previously played for us. With these new additions, we will definitely achieve our goals,” he explained.
Maleagi ‘Mali’ Ngarizemo the coach of Young African said his team was ready for the second half of the season, saying they will be challenging for top honours.
“We have signed players from as far as Ivory Coast and Ghana whose papers we hope will be ready for this weekend’s games,” he added.
Regarding the pronouncement by the Chairperson of the NPL, Patrick Kauta, that club owners should not be coaching teams, the outspoken Ngarizemo said he will continue coaching the team as there is no law barring him from doing so.
“Maybe the chairperson of African Stars and NPL must also choose one position between those two. I have the qualifications and experience to sit on the Young African bench and I will continue doing so. People must mind their own business,” Ngarizemo concluded.
(NAMPA)
KM/HP