Foreign travel ban extended beyond February

08 Feb 2018 14:10pm
WINDHOEK, 08 FEB (NAMPA) - The recently announced foreign travel ban will be extended beyond the month of February 2018, President Hage Geingob has said
In his address during the opening of Cabinet in the capital on Thursday, Geingob, without indicating how long these measures would last, said all requests for foreign travel will be carefully considered by the approving authority after February.
The foreign travel ban for government officials was imposed by Geingob with immediate effect late last month in order to reduce public expenditure and was initially meant to last for the entire duration of February.
“We recognise that we cannot completely ban all foreign travel. The intention is to exercise control and reduce the size of delegations and in exceptional cases, invitations for statutory travel must be properly motivated, and approval thereof be weighed against potential value gain.”
Geingob however added that accompanying officials will not be permitted, without adequate motivation, as he expects the other organs of the State to join the executive and exercise due restraint.
In the same speech, the Head of State also announced that the long-awaited national Land Conference, which was last year postponed to March this year, will take place later this year under the auspices of the Office of the Prime Minister.
“In order to ensure inclusivity, a high level committee chaired by the line minister and comprised of ministerial and civil society, should be established,” he said.
Geingob also asked for extensive consultations, as undertaken last year by the ministry, to be supplemented with input from subject matter experts and other important stakeholders who were not included in the first round of consultations.
“It is imperative that the format, objectives and outcomes of the conference be clearly defined from the onset, so as to guide preparations.”
(NAMPA)
IB/HP/AS