Botswana to draw lessons from CoW water reclamation plant

06 Feb 2018 17:50pm
WINDHOEK, 06 FEB (NAMPA) – The President of Botswana, Lieutenant-General Seretse Khama Ian Khama said Botswana can draw lessons from the City of Windhoek’s water reclamation plant after his visit there on Tuesday.
In an interview with the media on his visit to the City of Windhoek (CoW)’s Goreangab water reclamation plant, Khama said he would like to see Botswana having its own water reclamation plant as it looks towards water security.
He noted that Botswana is busy undertaking a similar project which should be able to secure up to 40 per cent of the water needs of the capital, Gaborone.
He further added that he was impressed with the water reclamation plant and that they are looking forward to working with and drawing lessons from Namibia.
The Windhoek Water Reclamation Plant supplies 40 per cent of the city’s water needs while NamWater compliments the remaining 60 per cent of the water used by the city’s residents.
In 2017, CoW revealed plans to improve the water collection efficiency through the construction of an N.dollars 1.1 billion water reclamation plant as a redress for its reliance on NamWater.
It is envisaged that the new plant will be constructed next to the existing Goreangab plant.
Khama, earlier in the day, also paid a visit to Sat-Com, where he had a closed-door meeting with Sat-Com management.
Sat-Com is a company that focuses on a wide range of communication solutions from the design and implementation to the delivery of key solutions for both large enterprises and government departments.
Khama arrived on Monday for a two-day State visit aimed at signing a boundary treaty with his Namibian counterpart, President Hage Geingob.
The treaty creates a boundary management structure between the two countries and will regulate the free movement of people between Namibia and Botswana.
Khama returned to Botswana on Tuesday after a farewell ceremony held at State House.
(NAMPA)
LP/HP/AS