30 Jan 2018 16:40pm
WINDHOEK, 30 JAN (NAMPA) The Khomas Regional Educational Directorate has managed to place 354 learners who last year failed to meet the admission requirements for Grade 11 this year.
This comes after an outcry by some parents who complained that their children are too young to be out of school.
Minister of Education, Arts and Culture, Katrina Hanse-Himarwa, however, made it clear during the announcement of the Junior Secondary Certificate (JSC) national examination results in November last year that Grade 10 failures who are 17-years-old and younger will only be allowed to repeat provided there is space at schools.
About 18 137 full-time Grade 10 candidates throughout the country failed.
The regions Deputy Director for Programmes and Quality Assurance, Paulus Lewin told Nampa in an interview on Monday there were limited spaces in schools for Grade 10 repeaters, and those who have been placed are very fortunate.
He stated that there is currently no more space, adding that it is unfortunate that learners are faced with this challenge, but they have only themselves to blame for a lack of commitment to their school work.
Lewin said it was impossible to take back all the learners because schools simply do not have the resources, including sufficient teaching staff, to accommodate them.
I however advise parents to stop wasting time at schools and rather send their children to register at Namibian College of Open Learning (Namcol) and other accredited private institutions, where they can re-do two or three subjects instead of all the nine subjects, Lewis added.
Registration for Namcol ends on 07 February 2018.
The region is currently also faced with the dilemma of a lack space for roughly 450 prospective Grade 1 learners and 473 learners for Grade 8.
We are planning to identify some schools to set up tents and evenly distribute these learners as we are running out of time, Lewin maintained.