Elephant electrocuted in Kunene

12 Jan 2018 16:40pm
WINDHOEK, 12 JAN (NAM) – An elephant was found dead in the area of Otjokavare village in the Sesfontein Constituency in the Kunene Region on Friday morning, with electrocution the apparent cause.
Simon Lukas of the department of corporate communications of the Northern Regional Electricity Distributor (Nored), confirmed the incident to Nampa the same morning.
The incident is suspected to have left a number of villages without electricity.
A source told this agency that the elephant pushed down an electric pole, which led to the fatal electrocution.
A team of Nored officials have been dispatched to the affected area to restore the pole, Lukas said, adding that this incident is the first of its kind.
(NAMPA)
UT/HP/PS