Fire destroys cuca shop in Katutura

01 Jan 2018 18:30pm
WINDHOEK, 01 JAN (NAMPA) – A cuca shop was destroyed in a fire suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault in Windhoek’s Katutura residential area on Monday.
The cuca shop, attached to a two-bedroom house in Dolam, was completely destroyed.
Fire station commander George Jesaya told Nampa they suspect that an electrical malfunction caused the fire.
“There was smoke coming from the freezer. The property was closed when the fire broke out,” he said.
He added that his team managed to prevent the fire from spreading to the main house and other residences.
Jesaya however complained that people crowding around the property made it difficult for them to do their job.
“We had to struggle with crowd control along with the City Police,” he said.
He said people, including children, crowded around the cuca shop and tried to see the inside of the shop.
There was no one in the cuca shop when the fire broke out and no casualties were reported.
Jesaya advised members of the public to switch off electrical appliances before going on holiday and to make sure they have someone looking after their property in their absence.
(NAMPA)
MM/AS