Nelumbu denies calling off search for Mokosso

29 Dec 2017 15:00pm
SWAKOPMUND, 29 DEC (NAMPA) - The search for American resident Mark Mokosso, 37, who went missing at Klein Brandberg near Uis is still on.
Erongo Regional Police Commander, Commissioner Andreas Nelumbu told Nampa upon enquiry on Friday they have just reduced the scale of the search.
He was responding to an article on the Facebook page of a local newspaper that said the search has been officially called off.
Nelumbu explained that because there were no leads regarding Mokosso’s whereabouts for almost two weeks now, the police decided on Thursday to return to their offices.
“The police in Uis go to the mountain every day to search for new information, they ask people they see in the area. The hope is that someone will give us information.”
Nelumbu also is not aware of the N.dollars 150 000 reward allegedly offered by Mokosso’s family to anyone who finds Mokosso himself, or his body.
He said Mokosso’s three relatives who came to Namibia and joined the police in the search, have not yet spoken to him about the reward or their return home.
The commissioner acknowledged that the chances of Mokosso surviving in such hot desert surroundings are not very good, but said they are still hoping to find him alive.
So far the police have covered an area of about 750 square kilometres.
“From the footprints we found it appears as if he did not leave the mountain, which could mean he is still there,” Nelumbu said.
(NAMPA)
PKS/AS