Namibia condemns reported migrant slavery in Libya
04 Dec 2017 15:30pm
WINDHOEK, 04 DEC (NAMPA) The government of Namibia has resolutely condemned the inhumane and degrading practices against the close to 30 000 African migrants reportedly being auctioned as slaves in Libya.
Government made these remarks in a media statement issued through the Ministry of International Relations and Cooporation (MIRC) on Friday.
In the Africa we want, there should be no place of any form of slavery, including modern slavery, the statement said.
Government also welcomed the Libyan authorities strong condemnation of these practices and the undertaking that Libya would take the necessary measures against those involved and provide the necessary cooperation for the African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights.
We also trust that the high authorities of Libya will do everything possible to arrest this new dreaded phenomena, bringing all those directly involved to justice, MIRC Permanent Secretary, Selma Ashipala-Musavyi said in the statement.
The Namibian government recalled the international communitys commitments contained in the Political Declaration of the High-Level Meeting on the Large Movements of Refugees and Migrants which took place in 2016 in New York.
The declaration serves as a rallying call by member states to, amongst others, increase in assisting the aforementioned victims, addressing the root causes of irregular migration and enhancing responsibility-sharing between countries of origin and receiving.
A video of men appearing to be sold at auction in Libya for US.dollars 400 last month shocked the world and focused international attention on the exploitation of migrants and refugees in the North African country.
The footage and subsequent investigation conducted by the popular Cable News Network has rallied European and African leaders to take action to stop the abuses.