Esau launches Fisheries Strategic Plan for 2017-2022

30 Nov 2017 12:10pm
WALVIS BAY, 30 NOV (NAMPA) – Minister of Fisheries and Marine Resources Bernhardt Esau on Wednesday launched his ministry’s N.dollars 1.3 billion Strategic Plan for 2017-2022 at Walvis Bay.
Speaking at the launch Esau said the document was developed by staff at the ministry in coordination with the Office of the Prime Minister, as part of the domestication of Government policies and plans and is in line with Vision 2030, the fifth National Development Plan and the Harambee Prosperity Plan.
According to Esau, 90 per cent of this budget will be spent on operational activities, while the remaining 10 per cent will be spent on development capital projects.
One of three desired outcomes enshrined in the plan is the implementation of a blue economy governance and management system that sustainably maximises economic benefits from marine resources and ensures equitable marine wealth is distributed among all Namibians by 2020.
The ministry also aims to achieve significant sustainable and efficient utilisation of natural resources, maximise and share the benefits equitably by 2022.
The plan envisages Namibia as a key fisheries and processing hub in the South Atlantic Ocean through increasing the volume of fish handled, canned and otherwise processed in Walvis Bay cumulatively by 40 per cent by 2022.
To achieve these outcomes, the ministry together with all its stakeholders, shall encourage scientific advice on the sustainable management of the marine ecosystem and strengthen compliance with fisheries legislation, Esau said.
He added that the development of a blue economy policy and legal framework and strengthening the development of aquaculture while also improving the contribution of value added exports to national economy will be key to the successful implementation of the plan.
The plan also aims to increase employment creation within the fisheries sector.
“I wish to reiterate that our private sector will play a key role in the realisation of the aspirations of this Strategic Plan. As a ministry we shall set the Total Allowance Catches and other management measures, and the private sector shall land the fish, add value and create the much-needed Namibian jobs,” he said.
(NAMPA)
PKS/HP