Otjiwarongo murder accused remanded in custody

29 Nov 2017 12:40pm
OTJIWARONGO, 29 NOV (NAMPA) - The 26-year-old man, who was arrested for allegedly stabbing Joshua Nangombe to death in the early hours of Saturday morning at a night club in Otjiwarongo on Saturday, was on Wednesday remanded in custody.
Quinton Engelbert Aukumeb on Wednesday appeared before the Otjiwarongo Magistrate Yvette Fredericks on a charge of murder.
Fredericks explained the legal right of the accused to engage a lawyer of his choice; apply for a State-funded lawyer through the Ministry of Justice’s Directorate of Legal Aid or defend himself in court.
Aukumeb opted to engage the services of his lawyer.
The case was then postponed to 25 January 2018 to allow him time to acquire the legal representation and also for further police investigations in the matter.
Public Prosecutor Elana Doeses appeared for the State.
Spokesperson of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) in the Otjozondjupa Region, Warrant Officer Maureen Mbeha in an interview with Nampa on Tuesday said Aukumeb was arrested Monday at about 21h00 in Orwetoveni residential area.
She said the accused had been hiding since the alleged stabbing incident occurred.
“We apprehended him on Monday night after we conducted an intensified search for him in Orwetoveni,” said Mbeha.
Mbeha said Aukumeb had allegedlystabbed the 25-year-old Nangombe once with a knife in the chest at around 02h23 on Saturday morning.
Mbeha said Nangombe and Aukumeb were allegedly seen arguing over a cigarette shortly before the stabbing incident.
Nangombe was declared dead on arrival at the Otjiwarongo State Hospital where his friends had taken him.
His (Nangombe) next of kin have been informed.
(NAMPA)
MS/HP