CoW calls for fire safety during festive season

25 Nov 2017 13:20pm
WINDHOEK, 25 NOV (NAMPA) – The City of Windhoek (CoW) has issued fire safety tips for the festive season ahead.
Public Relations Officer, Lydia Amutenya in a press release Friday said that although most people will be on holiday, unforeseen life threatening emergencies like fires may still be lurking.
Amutenya said fire incidents are generally caused by human behaviour and thus called on citizens to take necessary precautions to minimise fire outbreaks and severity of fire incidents.
“Children usually play with open flames and matches or other ignitable objects. To avoid this, keep these things out of their reach and most importantly, avoid cooking while under the influence of alcohol,” she said.
Amutenya also mentioned that according to the National Fire Protection Association, candle fire incidences are four times higher during December. Citizens are therefore urged to avoid leaving burning flames unattended and always to maintain about 500 mm space between candles and anything flammable.
Moreover, the routine check of all electrical appliances and wiring is encouraged.
“Use electrical cords wisely, never overload extension cords or wall sockets and keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters,” Amutenya added.
The correct and conducive usage of fireworks is also encouraged.
CoW has fully functional 24-hour emergency response teams to cater for fire emergency needs and residents should make use of them in events of fire outbreaks, Amutenya advised.
(NAMPA)
TT/HP/PS