15 Nov 2017 17:10pm
WINDHOEK, 15 NOV (NAMPA) Six foreign nationals arrested in connection with an armed robbery of a Group Four Security (G4S) guard at Westlane Lifestyle Centre on Monday, were all refused bail on Wednesday.
The six men were remanded in police custody at the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility after their first appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court on Wednesday morning.
They are Kubeka Mthokozisi, Lukas Ndlovu, Khumalo Vincent Martin, Shane Ntandoyenkosi Moyo, Vusi Vuthelizi David, and Mguni Sibusiso Pumuzile.
Public Prosecutor, Tatelo Cuthbert Lusepani strongly objected to the granting of bail because it would not be in the interest of the administration of justice to release them on bail while police investigations are at an initial stage. He also feared that the alleged robbers will abscond from Namibia to other countries in efforts to evade prosecution.
However, local defence lawyers Immanuel Udjombala and Kadhila Amoomo informed the court that they will lodge urgent formal bail applications in the next few days in order to have their clients released on bail.
Magistrate Sebby Alweendo Venatius directed officials at the correctional facility in consultation with the police investigating officer to make all the necessary arrangements to allow accused Moyo to write his end-of-year examinations under police guard on 16 and 17 November 2017.
Moyo is a law student at the University of Namibia.
The group was arrested at around 21h00 on Monday, the same day the robbery took place.
Speaking to Nampa on Tuesday, Namibian Police Force spokesperson, Kauna Shikwambi said four of the suspects were intercepted and arrested while in transit to Rehoboth and two were arrested in Windhoek.
Shikwambi said the suspects, four South African nationals and two Zimbabwean nationals, allegedly robbed the G4S security guard of N.dollars 487 320 in cash, which was collected from the Spar supermarket for banking.
Video footage from the Westlane shopping complexs cameras circulating on social media shows the G4S security guard leaving the store and opening the security van when one of the suspects attacked him, pushing him to the ground and threatening him with a firearm.
One of the suspects allegedly fired one shot through the window of the security vehicle at the driver, however the bullet did not penetrate the glass.
The driver of the security vehicle gave chase, but lost sight of the suspects as they managed to run away, said Shikwambi.
Three getaway vehicles used during the robbery - a Toyota Etios, an Audi and a Lexus - have all been impounded by the police.
She added that an amount of N.dollars 336 000 had been recovered, adding the suspects were also found in possession of US.dollars 6 500 in cash (about N.dollars 93 515).
Their case was remanded until 26 January 2018, pending further police investigations into the matter.