Convict in student pastor killing still without lawyer

06 Nov 2017 13:30pm
WINDHOEK, 06 NOV (NAMPA) - Andre Fidel Dausab, who was in July found guilty in the High Court of murdering his student pastor girlfriend in 2014, has not yet secured private legal representation.
On 30 August this year, the 37-year-old Dausab terminated the services of his government-sponsored defence lawyer, Brownell Uirab.
This happened a few minutes before the lawyer was to present his client’s evidence in mitigation of sentencing before High Court Judge Naomi Shivute.
Dausab alleged that the lawyer did not represent him honestly and to the best of his ability.
On Monday, he made another appearance before the same judge and informed the court that he was unable to properly consult his family regarding the sale of his assets to secure funding for private legal representation.
Dausab was given until 15 February 2018 to enable him to sort out issues pertaining to the funding of his legal representation.
The postponement of the case was effected as per an agreement reached by Dausab and State Advocate Ethel Ndlovu in court.
When he fired Uirab, Dausab claimed the lawyer had failed to properly challenge some of the crucial evidence presented by the prosecution.
He alleged that the lawyer’s sole purpose was to secure a conviction on behalf of the State, which funded the lawyer.
As a result of this misunderstanding and mistrust between the two men, the court allowed Uirab to withdraw from the case.
Dausab then informed Judge Shivute that he would be looking for the services of a privately-instructed defence lawyer to defend him.
The accused was on 25 July 2017 found guilty of murder with direct intent to kill in respect of the death of student pastor Motlamme Gotaone, who was stabbed to death.
The victim was 33 when she died at the United Lutheran Theological Seminary Paulinum Campus in Windhoek on 22 February 2014.
In her judgement, Judge Shivute said Dausab declared his intention to kill Gotaone a day before the incident when he sent her text messages threatening to kill her if she ended their relationship.
The judge dismissed Dausab’s personal defence that he was suffering from temporary non-pathological insanity or criminal incapacity before and while committing the crime. He alleged that this is why he remembered nothing about the incident.
A post-mortem showed that a broken knife was found stuck in the deceased’s back and she had 27 stab wounds all over her body.
When police arrived at the scene, Gotaone had already died.
Dausab, who is a first-time offender with no previous criminal offences, remains in police custody at the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility since his arrest in 2014.