Okahandja Park man denies killing woman

04 Nov 2013 15:30pm
WINDHOEK, 04 NOV (NAMPA) - A man arrested in September 2009 for allegedly killing his former girlfriend and threatening to kill other community members at the Okahandja Park informal settlement, has denied his involvement in the matter.
The 40-year-old Tobias Namweya denied killing his former girlfriend Monica Kakweno and having threatened to kill other members of the community between 20 and 28 September 2009 when he entered not guilty pleas to a charge of murder and two counts of assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm on Monday.
This was done in the presence of his State-sponsored defence lawyer Titus Mbaeva before Windhoek High Court Judge Naomi Shivute.
He did not disclose the basis of his pleas before court, and decided to remain silent.
Evidence contained in the charge-sheet had it that Namweya was arrested on 28 September 2009 thanks to the active initiative and involvement of the Youth Against Crime team in the Okahandja Park informal settlement.
He was arrested after he had threatened to kill several women who formed part of the Okahandja Park community members, who had spearheaded a march to the Katutura Magistrate's Court in September 2009 whilst protesting the alleged brutal killing of Kakweno.
On the charges of assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm, he is accused of blinding a community member in one eye when he allegedly stabbed him with a knife.
On the charge of murder, he allegedly stabbed deceased Monica Kakweno seven times with a knife during September 2009.
Reports carried earlier by local English daily Namibian Sun had it that deceased Kakweno allegedly became a victim while she was trying to protect a close friend against an assault by Namweya.
The accused was later released from police custody on bail of N.dollars 500 when he brought a formal bail application before court. Thereafter, he allegedly went after several women who had taken part in the march against him, and threatened to kill them.
He also physically assaulted one of the women, which led to him being arrested again.
After spending some months in custody at the Wanaheda police station, he was released on a warning on 04 November 2009.
Shortly after his release on warning, Namweya continued where he left off, looking for the demonstrating women to allegedly “finish them off one by one”.
The threatened women were living in fear, and did not feel free to move around the Okahandja Park informal settlement at the time because they were scared of running into Namweya.
State Advocate Jack Eixab is representing the prosecution in the trial.
Mbaeva is acting on the instructions of the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid.
Namweya, who is now being held in police custody at the Windhoek Central Prison, returns to the High Court on Tuesday for the continuation of his trial.