State again objects bail to Strzeleckis' murder suspects

26 Sep 2017 15:40pm
SWAKOPMUND, 26 SEP (NAMPA) - The State has once again objected to the granting of bail to three men accused of killing Roswitha Sieglinde Strzelecki, 79 and her husband Siegfried Strzelecki, 81.
The attack and murder took place at the Strzeleckis’ house in Swakopmund earlier last month.
The suspects are Daniel Stephanus Nghilifa 26, Jerobeam Simon Shidute 23, and Fabianus Lazarus, 24.
The trio is charged with double murder, robbery and aggravated assault.
During their second appearance in the Swakopmund Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, prosecutor Dalon Quickfall informed the court that the State was objecting to bail due to the public outcry in the case.
“There is a clear public outcry on this case. The public is now gathered outside the court in protest regarding this matter.”
Other reasons are the seriousness of the case and fear that the accused persons could interfere with police investigations which are still not completed.
Quickfall said investigations are at an advance stage and all the suspects have obtained legal representation.
The case was postponed to 06 December for investigations to be finalised.
The suspects, some of whom were employed to renovate the couple’s house allegedly used a duplicate key and entered the room where Roswitha was sleeping.
They then allegedly grabbed her by the neck, hit her head against a wall and strangled her to death.
Siegfried, who was in another room, heard the noise but when he attempted to help his wife, the suspects allegedly threatened him with knives and demanded money.
The police said the robbers attempted to open the safe with a key they had but failed. They then allegedly assaulted and tied up Siegfried with nylon ropes.
Roswitha was declared dead by paramedics at the scene and her husband succumbed to injuries in hospital a few days later.