Family in Brakwater loses all belongings in fire

18 Sep 2017 08:10am
WINDHOEK, 18 SEP (NAMPA) – A family from Nubuamis in Brakwater in the Khomas Region on Sunday evening lost all their belongings after their house caught fire.
The owner of the three-bedroom house, Julieth Tjiondo told Nampa at the scene that when the fire started, only her two sons aged, 16 and 17 were in the house.
Tjiondo said, the blaze started just a few minutes after she went to drop off her housekeeper at Mix informal settlement.
She confirmed that the incident happened at about 18h00 and that the fire was the result of a short circuit on a bulb in the store room, according to her sons.
“When the bulb burst it fell on the mattress that was in the storeroom, my sons tried to destroy (sic) the fire, however [they] failed to put the fire out,” she said.
Speaking at the scene of the incident, Damian Makgone from the Windhoek Fire Brigade Station said when they arrived at the residence, the entire house was engulfed by fire.
“The sons said it started from a bulb short circuit, however I cannot confirm and our investigations will continue,” said Makgone.
No fatalities were reported.
(NAMPA)
LD/HP/EKM