Ambunda denies being contracted to old stable

29 Aug 2017 16:50pm
WINDHOEK, 29 AUG (NAMPA) – Former World Boxing Organisation (WBO) and International Boxing Organisation (IBO) world champion, Paulus 'The Rock' Ambunda says he does not have a contract binding him to the MTC Nestor Sunshine Boxing and Fitness Academy.
Ambunda, who became a double world champion while at Sunshine, parted ways with the stable earlier this month.
The boxer, who last fought in June 2016 when he lost his IBO Super Bantamweight world title during a unification fight against Mexican, Moises Flores at Ramatex Complex in Windhoek, said during a media conference on Tuesday here that he is delighted to have joined Salute Boxing Academy.
“I have no personal problems with the Sunshine camp, I just think the time has come for me to move on and I am excited to be in a new camp.
“Moving from MTC Sunshine was just a business decision and nothing personal,” he said.
Ambunda was dispelling some of the latest media reports that claimed that he was still contracted to his old boxing stable, MTC Nestor Sunshine Boxing and Fitness Academy.
“I am not in the know of any contract that I signed with Nestor. I know we had a gentleman’s agreement before but not a contract. I am currently under Salute Boxing Academy and I will be here until the end,” he said.
Ambunda now joins World Boxing Federation (WBF) Welterweight world title holder Bethuel “Tyson” Ushona who was the first boxer to leave the MTC Nestor Sunshine Boxing and Fitness Academy in 2016.
(NAMPA)
HK/CT/EKM