Local architects, engineers want employment from Govt.

17 Aug 2017 17:40pm
WINDHOEK, 17 AUG (NAMPA) – The Namibian Society of Engineers on Thursday handed over more than 300 curriculum vitae (CVs) of unemployed local architectures, quantity surveyors and engineers to the Ministry of Works and Transport.
The submission comes after the ministry called for an exemption of 29 Zimbabwean expatriates from registering with the Namibian Council for Architects and Quantity Surveyors in order to work on Government projects until 2020.
The Zimbabwean electrical and mechanical engineers, quantity surveyors and architects have been seconded by their government to Namibia after the two countries signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in 2012 in this regard.
The MoU lapsed in May 2017 and has since been extended to October 2017.
Namibian engineers, architects and quantity surveyors have, however, raised concern over the ministry’s call for the exemption for the expatriates.
Reading a letter addressed to the ministry on behalf of unemployed engineers, architects and quantity surveyors, Tangeni Tshivute said the claim that Namibian professionals do not want to work for Government is misleading and devoid of truth.
“As many more CVs of local professionals with various levels of experience continue to flood in, it is clear that Namibians are available and ready to take up employment, serve their country and support their families,” said Tshivute.
The aggrieved professionals have called on the ministry to advertise all positions, including the contractual positions of the seconded staff, to allow Namibian professionals a fair opportunity to apply.
Receiving the letter, Permanent Secretary (PS) in the Ministry of Works and Transport, Willem Goeiemann defended the exemption, saying it was meant to fulfil the MoU.
Goeiemann also said the ministry cannot advertise positions as they are currently frozen, adding that he will however engage Secretary to Cabinet, George Simataa on the matter.
Goeiemann said the MoU is currently with Attorney-General Sacky Shanghala for scrutiny.
The PS also slammed allegations by lawyer Sisa Namandje in a letter addressed to the ministry last week that he (Goeiemann) had negotiated and signed the agreement on behalf of the ministry.
“The MoU was signed in 2012 and I joined the ministry in 2015, so the insinuation out there that I negotiated and signed the agreement should not be entertained,” he noted.
(NAMPA)
LD/CT/ND