16 Aug 2017 18:50pm
WINDHOEK, 16 AUG (NAMPA) A minor scuffle erupted when struggle kids refused to be moved from the entrance to the Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service by Namibian Police Force (NamPol) Special Field Force officers here on Wednesday.
More than 100 struggle kids blocked the entrance to the ministry, demanding to see acting Permanent Secretary (PS) Rosalia Tjaveondja to find out about their request for training at police training centres.
The police were called to the scene to escort the struggle kids back to the Ndilimani farm, where they are accommodated.
Contacted for comment, NamPol Khomas Regional Crime Coordinator, Commissioner Silvanus Nghishidibwa on Wednesday evening said there was a bit of a scuffle between the police and the struggle kids but it did not escalate.
He said the youth have gone back to the farm, situated in the Brakwater area north of Windhoek.
Most of the struggle kids came with their belongings and vowed to sleep at the ministry or camp at the Swapo-party headquarters in Katutura if they were not heard.
Before their removal by police, group spokesperson Jerry Hamukwaya told Nampa at the scene they are going to wait until they get a relevant answer from the ministry.
We are tired of dying at Ndilimani while the (police) training centres are empty, he said.
Hamukwaya said they will not return to Ndilimani farm, because they have lost close to 10 lives in attacks from unknown residents of the Mix settlement nearby.
The group claim to have been waiting too long for a response from the authority after they were in March instructed to return to their regions of origin and register for training.
In January and March this year, the struggle kids handed one petition to Cabinet Secretary, George Simataa and another to the youth ministry in which they demanded civic training, despite their refusal for such training last year.
Efforts to obtain comment from Tjaveondja were futile as she was in a meeting.