Man admits hacking girlfriend to death with axe

16 May 2017 15:10pm
WINDHOEK, 16 MAY (NAMPA) – A 44-year-old man accused of hacking his girlfriend to death with an axe in Tsaraxa-Aibes informal settlement in Otjiwarongo during 2015, on Tuesday admitted to committing the offence.
Israel Kapepu, 44, wasted no court's time when he admitted hacking his girlfriend, Christine Gases, 28, to death by tendering a guilty plea to the charge of murder with direct intention to kill at the start of his trial before High Court Judge Naomi Shivute Tuesday morning.
Kapepu tendered his guilty plea as per provisions of Section 122 of the Criminal Procedures Act and in accordance with the instructions he gave his State-sponsored defence lawyer, Mese Tjituri.
He told the court that he is fully aware of the charge he is facing and its consequences and decided to tender a guilty plea on his own free will with no influence by anyone else, saying his actions on that fateful day were unlawful and senseless.
Kapepu was, thereafter, found guilty as charged of murder with direct intention to kill and upon his own plea of guilty to the charge.
He has been earning a living as a welder in Otjiwarongo and asked the court to exercise some kind mercy when handing down the sentence in the matter.
A summary of substantial facts contained in the charge sheet has it that the killing incident happened when Kapepu and Gases returned to the deceased’s shack from a shebeen on 28 February 2015 at approximately 15h00.
It is reported that when the two were inside the shack, a quarrel broke out after Gases told Kapepu that she wanted to go back to the shebeen they had just come from.
At the time, Kapepu wanted Gases to prepare food and she told him that she will only come and cook at a later stage.
Gases then went ahead and took a shower to freshen-up and as she started to apply skin lotion, Kapepu stood up angrily and went behind the shack where he picked up an axe.
He then smashed Gases on the head three times with the axe.
Gases fell on her stomach and died on the spot.
State Advocate Martino Olivier is representing the prosecution.
Kapepu remains in police custody at the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility.