Pensioner burns to death in hut fire

19 Apr 2017 12:40pm
OPUWO, 19 APR (NAMPA) – A 70-year-old man burnt to death in his hut at the Omitumbirua village in the Opuwo Rural Constituency on Sunday evening.
The deceased has been identified as Paulus Mueulilatji.
It is alleged that Mueulilatji slept in his hut with a fire next to him and his blanket caught fire, which spread through the entire hut.
He was found dead by his son the following morning. His next of kin have been informed.
Crime investigations coordinator in Kunene, Deputy Commissioner Rudolf Kanyetu told Nampa on Wednesday that incidences of such a nature are not common in the region.
Kanyetu, however, warned that extra caution be taken whenever the situation demands that one sleeps with an open fire in a hut or a house.
Late last year, a hut caught fire at the Otjomuru village in the Epupa Constituency but no injuries were reported.
(NAMPA)
UT/ND/