Most Game employees return to work

21 Oct 2013 14:40pm
WINDHOEK, 21 OCT (NAMPA) – Employees of the Game stores in Windhoek and Oshakati who went on strike on Sunday, have been asked to return to work or face disciplinary action.
The workers went on strike on Sunday demanding a N.dollars 490 salary increase, a starting salary of N.dollars 1 000, and housing and transport allowance.
On Monday morning when Nampa visited the Windhoek branch, of the more than 40 employees who had gone on strike, only two workers and union representatives from the Namibia Food and Allied Workers Union (NAFAU) could still be seen picketing outside the shop’s premises.
Deputy General Secretary of NAFAU, Wilma Angula told Nampa in an interview many of the workers opted to go back to work as the company is allegedly busy coercing employees into refraining from striking.
Meanwhile, a letter by the company addressed to NAFAU, the Office of the Labour Commissioner and all Game shop stewards in Windhoek and Oshakati stated that the majority of the bargaining unit has accepted an offer of a 9 per cent wage increase.
A total of 52 out of 102 employees signed the acceptance of the offer.
The letter further stated that the majority of the employees within the bargaining unit are not in favour of industrial action, adding that an agreement was reached with the bargaining unit as to the increase in the wage offer.
“Our position is that the team who are currently on strike shall immediately stop striking and shall resume work within three days as contemplated in rule 2.23 of the ground rules,” it read.
Should the strike continue, the correspondence will serve to confirm that such action is illegal, the letter went on to state, adding that immediate disciplinary action will be taken against those members.
The company furthermore indicated that it will put in an urgent application with the Labour Court for an interdict to stop the illegal strike, and that costs will be sought against the union.
The two Game employees who could still be seen fighting for their rights refused to sign the letters which were issued to them in Monday, and said they will only do so if the letter is served to them via the office of the Labour Commissioner.
Angula also stood her ground, saying the strike is legal and the workers “followed all procedures”.
According to her, the strike will continue until the workers’ demands are met.