Mutjavikua lashes out at demonstrators

20 Oct 2013 12:00pm
SWAKOPMUND, 20 OCT (NAMPA) – The Erongo Regional Governor, Cleophas Mutjavikua has lashed out against “unnecessary demonstrations”, saying it hampers progress which the Namibian Government wants to achieve.
Speaking during a clean-up campaign to prepare for the Adventure Travel World Summit (ATWS) here on Saturday, Mutjavikua said during previous years, there were no demonstrations because Government never made pronouncements that it will build houses for the residents of Swakopmund.
The ATWS will take place from 20 to 31 October, including pre-summit tours.
“Now that such a pronouncement was made by Government, there are a lot of people who are demonstrating,” he said.
His comment follows another demonstration by residents from the DRC informal settlement in Swakopmund here last week.
The demonstrators threatened to march to the State House in Windhoek regarding the formalisation of the area they live in, which is situated in the outskirts of this tourist town.
Members of the DRC concerned group last Tuesday started camping in front of the Municipality offices as a ploy to address concerns regarding the registration forms for erven.
They handed over a petition to the town council, stating that the housing registration form should be amended by removing the clause of possible eviction, and instead include a guarantee of property.
Residents claimed that the municipality wants to remove the poor from the land before developing it, and then selling it for profit instead.
They also claimed that the municipality, through its DRC Development Committee, is using a deceitful housing registration form to give people the impression that they are registering for guaranteed erven.
Mutjavikua continued that the reasons for their demonstrations keep on changing.
“Now apparently, there is a clause in the registration form, and when the clause was explained it was said that the Municipality wants to send the people to the area behind the dumpsite. All these things are not making sense, as who would like to see people get send to the dumpsite,” he exclaimed.
He noted that the problem is that these residents do not want to register.
“How can we have statistics and know how many people is there in town if no data is kept. The Government has earmarked about N.dollars 259 million for Swakopmund for the servicing and construction of houses, but people are still demonstrating and we do not know why,” Mutjavikua stated.
He cautioned those who do not want set aside their differences and be part of the project, that the Government is going ahead with the mission of providing housing and cannot be stopped by people who want to obstruct progress.
“We are going to go ahead and push programmes and we are going to build houses. The writing is on the wall,” the governor uttered.
(NAMPA)
CF/ND