Man dies in fire at Otjituuo
26 Mar 2017 12:40pm
OTJIWARONGO, 26 MAR (NAMPA) - A 44-year-old man was Friday night burned beyond recognition while asleep at Otjituuo village in the Okakarara Constituency.
The man has been identified as Simon Ndilimekuma Ashipala.
Spokesperson of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) in the Otjozondjupa Region, Warrant Officer Maureen Mbeha on Sunday said the relatives of the deceased have been informed.
Preliminary investigations indicate that Ashipala was last seen at a local bar in the village Friday night.
Mbeha said that at around 23h00 that night, Ashipalas home a structure made of zinc - was gutted by a fire while he was sleeping.
Unfortunately, he did not escape the fire and he was burned beyond recognition, she said.
It is suspected that a lit cigarette might have caused the fire, added Mbeha.
No foul play is suspected and an inquest docket has been opened at the Otjituuo Police Station.
Police investigations continue.