Struggle kids invade Swapo headquarters, vow to stay put

16 Mar 2017 17:10pm
WINDHOEK, 16 MAR (NAMPA) – ‘Children of the liberation struggle’ on Thursday invaded the Swapo headquarters in Windhoek and vowed to stay put until their demands are met.
About 345 ‘struggle kids’ forced their way into the party offices early Thursday, demanding a meeting with Nangolo Mbumba, Swapo’s secretary-general.
Jerry Hamukwaya, one of the leaders of the group, read a letter addressed to them by Secretary to Cabinet George Simataa which said the technical committee dealing with the 'children of the liberation struggle' in July 2016 agreed that they be given vocational and civic training for four and two months respectively, before being employed.
They however refused the training, after which they were given several other chances to undergo the training.
The letter stated that the 'struggle kids' were given forms to complete and submit at the offices of their regional governors, where recruitment for the training would be conducted.
It was done in that manner because of Cabinet's view that no recruitment should be carried out at any of the sites where the 'struggle kids' are camping.
Responding to the letter, the 'struggle kids' said they did not reject any training, adding that their demands were not included in the agreement.
These demands include that when Government sends them for training, all of them must be taken at one time, even if they are going to different training facilities.
They also want the government to guarantee them employment as soon as they are done with their training by way of a document signed by both parties.
They further demanded that the training period be reduced from six months to two months and that they be trained in specific jobs.
One of the struggle kids, Tuhafeni Naindaa, told Nampa they will camp at the party head office until their demands are met.
Naindaa accused the party of continuously making false promises.
“They always promise that they will get back to us, but they never do so. We have decided to stay here,” he said.
None of the Swapo officials were willing to speak to the media.