Six hospitals to hopefully get specialists this year: Haufiku

07 Mar 2017 08:10am
RUNDU, 07 MAR (NAMPA) – Minister of Health and Social Services, Dr Bernhard Haufiku performed 11 operations as part of an outreach programme at the Rundu State Hospital over the weekend.
The minister performed tonsillectomies on children and adults and assisted with caesarean sections.
Haufiku told Nampa on Saturday he could not accompany a team of outreach doctors that visited Rundu earlier this year as he had other commitments.
“I told the doctors here I would come on my own. After the operations, I will have discussions with them to see what the situation on the ground is.”
Haufiku said he sometimes receives reports that do not reflect what is really happening in hospitals.
On 13 March this year the outreach programme is going to the Erongo Region.
The minister will return to Rundu in April to perform more tonsillectomies as the Cuban doctor who usually does it, returns to his country next week.
Haufiku said he hopes that in the second half of this year, six additional hospitals countrywide will have a minimum of four or five specialists each.
The Health Ministry has identified state hospitals in Keetmanshoop, Rundu, Otjiwarongo, Engela, Walvis Bay and Swakopmund to host specialists on a full-time basis.
The specialists would include anaesthetists, gynaecologists, paediatricians and general or orthopaedic surgeons.
“If you have these specialists in place, you minimise referrals to Windhoek by as much as 80 per cent,” the minister stressed.
Haufiku said when a hospital also has someone performing tonsillectomies, the cost of Windhoek-based doctors visiting the regions is reduced.
(NAMPA)
SL/LI/AS