Dausab says death of two women was heavy loss

06 Mar 2017 15:00pm
WINDHOEK, 06 MAR (NAMPA) - A man who was in January 2017 found guilty of killing two women at the Okandjira Post in the Ovitoto communal area in June 2009, says the death of the two women was a heavy loss to both himself and their family.
The 48-year-old Julius 'Namab' Dausab was on 31 January 2017 found guilty of killing his late girlfriend Paulina Kenamuni, 28, and her mother Elfrieda Kenamuni, 44, by shooting them with a hunting rifle at the Okandjira Post in the Otjozondjupa Region on 03 June 2009.
On Monday, in his evidence in mitigation before sentencing, Dausab told presiding High Court Judge Alfred Siboleka the loss of the two women is painful.
“The death of the two women is a very heavy loss for both sides - myself and their family members,” testified Dausab. He opted not to say anything more about the incident.
In respect of his health, the convicted double murderer said he is suffering from a severe diabetic illness that requires him to get injections and take tablets.
He also said he requires a special diet, which the prison authority cannot provide him while in custody.
“I have even collapsed two times due to hunger since my conviction on 31 January 2017 and my health conditions have not improved as from that day,” said Dausab.
The two charges against Dausab were dealt with by the court in terms of the provisions of the Combating of Domestic Violence Act of 2003, which warrants stiff sentences in case of conviction.
Evidence presented before court during trial had it that Paulina, who previously had lived with Dausab in Otjiwarongo, is said to have ended their relationship before moving back to Ovitoto and this development had triggered the events that led to the tragedy.
Dausab allegedly drove from Otjiwarongo to the home of Paulina’s parents at the Okandjira Post in an apparent attempt at reconciliation.
Around midnight on 03 June 2009, according to police and family members, Dausab knocked at the door of the shack and his girlfriend's mother went to open the door.
At that point, Dausab pointed the barrel of a .308 hunting rifle through a hole in the door and shot his girlfriend's mother in the chest.
By then Paulina had already been shot dead with the same gun.
Dausab had been free on bail of N.dollars 30 000, which was granted after he brought a successful formal bail application in March 2012 before Judge Siboleka.
His bail was withdrawn upon conviction.
Bradley Basson is defending Dausab on the instructions of the Directorate of Legal Aid.
State Advocate Erick Moyo appears for the prosecution.
Trial continues Tuesday.
(NAMPA)
SKE/CT/ND