Ondonga princess rejects designated king

03 Mar 2017 13:00pm
OLUNO, 03 MAR (NAMPA) – Ondonga Princess Katrina Kauluma Elifas has rejected suggestions that Fillemon Shuumbwa Nangolo is the designated king of Ondonga.
She said Nangolo is not the successor to her father, King Immanuel Kauluma Elifas.
“You the agency and newspapers, stop being used to mislead the nation by cowards that are failures and now want to become kings overnight,” Katrina argued in a telephonic conversation with Nampa recently.
She was referring to a recent Ondonga Traditional Authority (OTA) announcement, declaring Nangolo as the personal assistant and successor to her father, and allegations that some members of the royal house are involved in illegal land allocations or sales at the Onethindi settlement near Ondangwa.
Katrina said her father had major surgery on 14 April 2012 and was thus not in good health to write or sign the letter the OTA says her father had sent to then Regional and Local Government, Housing and Rural Development Minister Jerry Ekandjo to register Nangolo's nomination with the government.
The OTA said in a statement issued late last month that King Elifas nominated Nangolo as his successor on 20 September 2002 and confirmed such nomination to Government in a letter signed by Elifas on 02 June 2012.
The OTA said at the time that the 38-year-old Nangolo’s nomination was done within the Ondonga traditional norms, and received the blessing of the elders of the royal family and advisors to the king of Ondonga.
It said Nangolo’s nomination was done with the purpose of preparing him for the throne and responsibilities as the future head of the Ondonga tribe.
Besides rejecting Nangolo as the Ondonga king-in-waiting, she also disregarded the OTA as the legitimate Ondonga authority and demanded to know who members of the OTA are.
“Every day is just OTA in the media accusing us of wrongdoings and implicating members of the royal house in the illegal land allocation and selling,” said Katrina, adding she never allocated or sold a plot to anybody.
Katrina said her father nominated Nangolo for a different portfolio and not to be his successor. According to her, a successor cannot be publicly announced while the serving king is alive. She could not name the portfolio.
The OTA, during its community meeting held at the Oluno township in Ondangwa a week ago, paraded Nangolo as successor to King Elifas.
The meeting dealt with Ondonga traditions, customs, principles and development programmes.
Efforts to obtain comment from OTA Spokesperson Joseph Asino since Wednesday proved futile as he was apparently in meetings, and he did not respond to messages left on his mobile phone.
(NAMPA)
NN/CT/ND