Help arrives for Berseba

17 Feb 2017 17:30pm
BERSEBA, 17 FEB (NAMPA) – Minister of Mines and Energy, Obeth Kandjoze is in the process of securing funds for the construction of low-cost houses for Berseba residents who recently lost homes in a rainstorm.
This was announced by ||Karas Governor, Lucia Basson during a meeting at the village on Wednesday. Poverty eradication minister Zephania Kameeta, ||Karas regional councillors and members of the Berseba Village Council were also in attendance.
Basson said Kandjoze will approach mines in the ||Karas Region to donate an estimated N.dollars 2.5 million for the construction of pre-fabricated houses and restoration of the electricity supply to the village.
The houses are expected to be built by August 26 Holdings, a company owned by the Namibian Defence Force (NDF), following a proposal to the governor by Keetmanshoop Military Base Brigadier-General, Epimacus Tshavuka earlier this week.
Nearly 100 people lost their shacks and personal belongings while the roofs of a number of brick-houses were torn off during a hailstorm that hit the village on the night of 08 February.
Basson said some of the homes destroyed dated from decades ago, and she felt the affected people should be accommodated in decent housing.
“August 26 already has house models and materials for the construction of low-cost houses,” she said.
The NDF on Monday erected tents for the affected residents.
More help arrived in the form of donated food items through the Food Bank and a local businesswoman.
Alec Boois on behalf of his joint-venture, Mack Fishing, donated N.dollars 100 000.
Officials from the Namibia Red Cross Society and the Risk Management Directorate in the Prime Minister’s Office also visited the village this week.
Raymond Jossop, secretary to Berseba Village Chief Executive Officer Charles Vries, told Nampa on Friday the village was informed that the two entities would soon provide food, blankets and clothing to the affected households.
A victim of the disaster, Elizabeth Esterhuizen, said she lost everything when her shack and personal belongings were displaced, and is grateful for the support received so far.
Esterhuizen said the incident was frightening but ever since then, there was not a single day that her family went to bed hungry.
“We were even able to share food with our neighbours who also have nothing,” she said.
(NAMPA)
PS/ND/LI