15 Oct 2013 10:30am
MATAVA, 15 OCT (NAMPA) The Rundu State Hospital has not yet received post-mortem results of a pregnant Grade 11 learner who died before delivering her baby almost three weeks ago.
The family members of the deceased learner claimed that negligence by medical doctors led to the loss of the duos lives.
Selma Muka, 21, from the Kandjimi Murangi Secondary School in the Kavango West Region, was nine-months-pregnant when she died on 25 September this year, allegedly after a wrong injection was administered to her shortly before a Caesarean section operation was about to be performed.
The family said the medical doctor in charge of the operation apparently repeatedly said sorry for causing the death of their daughter, and that it was just a mistake.
Muka was rushed to the Nankudu District Hospital on 23 September to deliver her baby, as she was already in her ninth month of pregnancy.
After two days of being admitted in that hospital, she still did not go into labour, leading to health officials there deciding on a Caesarean section operation.
The Rundu State Hospitals Medical Superintendent, Dr. Juri Yangazov told Nampa on Tuesday that they are yet to receive the post-mortem results.
Forensic investigations, which are complex and take time, are being done by a highly-qualified pathologist, he added.
The post-mortems were conducted last week Monday in Windhoek.
The family members, however, buried their loved one on Saturday.
The deceaseds visibly traumatised mother Namutenya Mberema told Nampa earlier that doctors at that hospital forced her to give consent to have her daughter operated on.
However, she requested them to refer her girl to the Rundu Intermediate Hospital for that operation, but they allegedly refused.
She explained that she was informed at around midday on the same day by the two doctors who were in the theatre that her daughter and her unborn baby had died.
Mberema said one of the medical doctors repeatedly apologised in the presence of other family members for causing her daughters death, saying he used a wrong injection, and that it was unintentional.
The family members are adamant that if found guilty, the doctor hailing from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) should be repatriated.
Yangazov earlier refused to say what measures would be taken against the DRC-born doctor, should he be found guilty of negligence.
The Namibian Police Forces Acting Crime Investigations Co-ordinator, Detective Chief Inspector Chrispin Mubebo earlier confirmed the opening of an inquest docket into the incident on 27 September.
Mubebo said the police have already obtained statements from both the family members and the implicated doctor, who is known to this reporter but whose name cannot be revealed at this stage.