No factual evidence to deny bail: Botes & Namandje

17 Jan 2017 15:30pm
WINDHOEK, 17 JAN (NAMPA) - The hearing in the bail application of two Chinese men and a Namibian arrested in connection with alleged fraud, money laundering and tax evasion worth N.dollars 3.5 billion is now in its final stage.
Advocate Louis Botes and lawyer Sisa Namandje on Tuesday presented their written submissions before presiding Windhoek Magistrate Venatius Alweendo for their clients: 47-year-old Namibian businessperson Laurentius Julius, Tao Huizong, 46, and 31-year-old Jinrong Huang.
“There is no credible evidence presented before court against the three applicants apart from the mere speculations so far submitted by the State,” said the defence.
They argued that Namibian Police Chief Inspector John Mutongwe did not provide the court with factual evidence against the granting of bail.
In addition they said the State, led by Public Prosecutor Rowan van Wyk, conceded in court that they have no factual evidence to charge the three men for money laundering and fraud.
The defence said Mutongwe did not explain in detail how the three men could interfere with investigations when granted bail and “therefore his evidence in this respect cannot be considered as truthful by the court”.
The three are each charged in connection with fraud, money laundering and tax evasion through a customs clearing business.
Julius is the owner of Extreme Customs Clearing Services that presented the allegedly fraudulent invoices for imports to the Finance Ministry’s Customs Office.
Presentation of the written submissions by the two defence lawyers continue Tuesday, after which the magistrate is expected to announce a date for the ruling.
The State is objecting to the granting of bail on grounds that the three men will abscond from Namibia to evade prosecution.
(NAMPA)
SKE/LI/ND