No N.dollars 3.5 billion cash say NamPol

09 Jan 2017 19:20pm
WINDHOEK, 09 JAN (NAMPA) – The Namibian Police Force (NamPol) Monday issued a warning for the media to refrain from publishing false information.
The warning follows reports published in December last year of N.dollars 3.5 billion cash found stashed in a container in Ondangwa.
NamPol Spokesperson, Warrant Officer Immanuel Lazarus told Nampa in an interview on Monday that according to police investigations, there was no cash stashed in a container.
“The media just published false information to the public which brought confusion,” said Lazarus.
He explained the N.dollars 3.5 billion represents transactions through which the money was allegedly smuggled out of Namibia.
Three suspects, two Chinese men and one Namibian man, were arrested and are appearing in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court for a formal bail application.
Laurentius Julius, 47 and two Chinese men - Tao Huizhong, 46 and Jinrong Huang, 36 - were late December 2016 arrested in Walvis Bay and Oshikango respectively on charges of fraud, money laundering and tax evasion.
They allegedly defrauded the Ministry of Finance of N.dollars 3.5 billion through Extreme Customs Clearing Services, a business owned by Julius.
Lazarus urged the public not to engage in rumours, as this will leave a bad impression on the country.
“People should work with the law to avoid this type of disinformation,” said Lazarus.
On Friday, the Bank of Namibia (BoN) also dismissed the allegation of cash in a container.
In a statement issued that day, BoN Governor Ipumbu Shiimi said this information is wrong and not supported by facts.
“As far as can be established, the Namibian Police did not find any money hoarded by the suspects when they were arrested as is alleged in some media reports,” he stressed.
The three suspects’ bail application started last week and continued on Monday.
NamPol Chief Inspector, John Mutongwe testified against their bail application, saying 29 more suspects are to be arrested.
This includes, amongst others, several Namibian and Chinese business people operating in Oshikango and Windhoek.
The bail hearing continues Tuesday when Mutongwe will be cross-examined by the defence lawyers, Sisa Namandje and Louis Botes.
(NAMPA)
LD/LI