Namcor cancellation of petroleum tender draws criticism

06 Jan 2017 14:00pm
By Etuna Shikalepo
WINDHOEK, 06 JAN (NAMPA) – The cancellation of a tender to transport and distribute petroleum products for National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (Namcor) has drawn criticism from tenderers.
Over 20 companies tendered to transport and distribute petroleum products for Namcor, but the corporation cancelled the tender in December last year.
Some of the tenderers, who preferred anonymity, alleged that a certain company which was not shortlisted has attempted to bribe the Namcor board with about N.dollars 2 million for their company to be considered.
Namcor Board Chairperson, Patrick Kauta dismissed this allegation as untrue, noting that the board is not aware of any company trying to bribe it.
“We were just appointed last year September and the tender was advertised in August/July,” Kauta told Nampa in a telephonic interview on Friday.
Kauta, however, acknowledged that the tender was cancelled because about 60 per cent of the companies that applied did not comply with the required specifications. He said another reason is that none of the companies have drivers to carry dangerous products.
The tender is for the transportation of all of the Namcor’s petroleum products ranging from petrol, diesel, and heavy fuel oil to its diverse client-base around the country.
Five companies were reportedly shortlisted for the tender.
Namcor Managing Director, Immanuel Mulunga informed the tenderers in writing that the cancellation was done in accordance with the rights under the specific tender.
“We appreciate your interest in this tender and your decision to work with us and we remain interested in doing business together in future ventures,” Mulunga said in a copy of the letter in Nampa’s possession.
Approached for comment on Friday, Namcor Communications and Public Relations Specialist, Utaara Hoveka said the tender was cancelled at the direction and guidance of the company’s board of directors.
Hoveka stressed that the board want to ensure that the process was free of loopholes and in line with international best practices.
“Namcor remains committed to maintaining high standards of professionalism and transparency in all its dealings,” he said.
Hoveka said the tender will be re-advertised within the first quarter of 2017 and interested companies will have the opportunity to participate, including those that already participated in the cancelled exercise.
(NAMPA)
ME/CT/ND