Three escapees to plead guilty on Thursday

09 Oct 2013 15:30pm
WINDHOEK, 09 OCT (NAMPA) - Three sentenced prisoners who escaped from Namibia's top maximum security prison in the early morning hours of last Sunday, will each enter a guilty plea in court on Thursday.
The dangerous trio - Sylvester Beukes, Steven Goagoseb and Hendrik Modise - made a brief appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court along Lüderitz Street on Wednesday afternoon, where they told Magistrate Justine Asino that they will each plead guilty to a charge of escaping from lawful custody.
They also informed the presiding magistrate that they do not need the services of defence lawyers in this matter as they will each conduct their own defence.
The three were remanded in police custody at the Windhoek Central Prison, from where they escaped, until Thursday when they again return to court to enter their pleas.
Public Prosecutor Samantha Diergaardt represented the State on Wednesday.
In the matter, the three sentenced prisoners had between 02h00 and 06h00 on Sunday successfully tested the security measures at the Windhoek Central Prison when they managed to escape from the facility by allegedly cutting through the burglar bars of their cell’s windows with unknown objects.
However, the three escapes' bid for freedom was very short-lived as they were all rearrested by members of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Serious Crime Unit while allegedly walking in the bushes in the Kapps Farm area, not far from the police roadblock along the main road from Windhoek to the Hosea Kutako International Airport (HKIA).
They were rearrested at around 12h45 on Sunday, which was announced by NamPol spokesperson, Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi at a media briefing here on Sunday afternoon.
“This alleged escape is of a very serious nature, and we (NamPol) are thoroughly investigating all circumstances which led to the escape of these prisoners,” stressed the police spokesperson.
According to Shikwambi, the three escapees shared a cell at the time of their escape.
Sylvester Beukes and his brother Gavin Beukes were sentenced to a combined total of 670 years in jail for their involvement in the Kareeboomvloer massacre in the Hardap Region’s Kalkrand area.
In that incident, a farming couple and six other people were shot dead on 05 March 2005.
Sylvester Beukes was sent to prison for an effective total of 105 years, while his brother Gavin received a total of 84 years.
Rehoboth resident and emerging farmer Stoney Neidel was found guilty of theft and illegal possession of firearms in the same case, and sentenced to an effective six years of imprisonment.
Goagoseb is in prison for an effective total of 27 years for murdering City Police officer Anton Matesu in his home in Windhoek's Acacia residential area on the night of 22 January 2005; while Okahandja resident Modise is serving a custodial term at the Windhoek Central Prison for having raped a mentally-ill girl on Farm Okarusepa in the Okahandja district in July 2010.