Day of Old Location uprising watered down: Maamberua

11 Dec 2016 10:00am
WINDHOEK, 11 DEC (NAMPA) – The commemoration of the day of the Old Location uprising must be accorded the significance it deserves, Swanu president Usutuaije Maamberua has said.
Commemorated on 10 December every year, the day is aimed at remembering those who perished during the Old Location uprising in 1959.
Among them was Anna ‘Kakurukaze’ Mungunda, the only woman amongst the 11 people killed on 10 December 1959 when police officers opened fire during a protest in the Old Location, now Pionierspark.
Maamberua, who was speaking during the commemoration of the day organised by his party in the capital Saturday, noted that the names of the people who were killed on the day are not inscribed on the tombstone erected in their honour at the Old Location cemetery.
He also called on President Hage Geingob to recognise the day and have it receive the recognition it deserves, like all other national days.
He warned against the day not receiving the appropriate recognition.
“We have the capacity to reclaim it at our own level, that day shall never be forgotten,” Maamberua said.
The Swanu President further called on the government to introduce special programmes for the victims of the Old Location uprising, land disposition and German brutality, amongst others.
“We need to give them the land that was taken from them,” he said.
These programmes, he added, must eradicate crime against women and children.
The Old Location uprising followed a decision by the Windhoek Municipality, in consultation with the South West Africa Administration and the South African Government in the late 1950s to build a new location north-west of Windhoek and to move all residents of the Main Location, as it was known at the time, there.
Most Main Location residents opposed the planned closure of the Main Location and refused to move to the proposed new location, now known as Katutura. Opposition to the move reached a climax, and 11 peaceful demonstrators were killed and more than 50 others were injured.
Between 3 000 and 4 000 residents fled the area and refused to return, fearing police reprisals.