JA Nel 6 on trial

18 Nov 2016 10:10am
KEETMANSHOOP, 18 NOV (NAMPA) – Three of the remaining six suspects accused of murdering three people in Keetmanshoop in 2013 were on Wednesday taken into custody after submitting guilty pleas in the Keetmanshoop Regional Court.
The three are part of a group of former JA Nel High School pupils charged with the robbery, assault and murder of Mika Johannes, Augustinus Josef and Helmuth Isaacks between September and October that year.
The guilty pleas of Stephanus Kapuka, 20, Markus Goraseb, 19, and Hercules Oarum, 20, were accepted by the court and their bail revoked.
They will be sentenced on 02 February next year.
Fellow-accused Matheus Motinga, 20, Romario Cohlman, 18, and Valentinus Brandt, 20, who are free on bail, pleaded not guilty in front of a packed court with Regional Magistrate Sunsley Zisengwe on the bench.
Zisengwe on Thursday split their trial and postponed it for continuation to 21 and 24 February respectively.
Early this week, the court acquitted two other suspects - brothers Josephat Fredericks, 18, and Gada Fredericks, 19 - due to a lack of evidence, according to Prosecutor Basson Lilungwe.
The short reign of terror of the young gang sent shockwaves through the south as the suspects reportedly went on the violent sprees after sneaking out of hostel at night.
Kapuka relayed a tale of brutality, violence and intoxication in his admission.
He said he was part of a gang of six who attacked first victim, Johannes, who was a student at the Namibia Institute of Mining and Technology, near the Office of the //Kharas Governor on 13 September.
The victim was assaulted, robbed of his wallet and stabbed three times as he repeatedly tried to flee.
The assailants ran back to the hostel afterwards, Kapuka said, also admitting to his involvement in the robbery and assault of Isaacks on 20 October, who died the next day from injuries sustained in the attack.
Kapuka said he was the first to kick Isaacks’ legs from under him, later removing his clothes while a co-accused pinned the deceased to the ground.
Five days later, Kapuka killed Josef by inflicting a stab wound to his chest robbing him of his wallet.
“I attacked him and my co-accused [Goraseb] and I robbed him. After running for a short distance, I turned around and went back to the man since I noticed he had a backpack on his back. I tried to remove it, but he resisted and I stabbed him once with a knife on the chest.”
Goraseb admitted to stealing Josef’s mobile phone.
On the same day, 25 October, Kapuka stabbed Amaury Manzezulu on the cheek and robbed Charlet Kennedy of a mobile phone and jewellery.
Goraseb admitted to taking Kennedy’s shoes.
Oarum pleaded guilty to robbing Isaacks of one shoe.
It emerged that the schoolboys executed their attacks brazenly and randomly.
Kapuka told of how all victims and complainants were spotted walking while the suspects were out drinking.