Trial in Finnish killing case begins next year

17 Nov 2016 14:20pm
WINDHOEK, 17 NOV (NAMPA) –The trial of a Windhoek resident who allegedly shot and killed a Finnish man at a sports bar during a road rage incident in 2015, will begin in the High Court here early next year.
Danne Rodney Shaningwa, 43, made his third appearance on Thursday before High Court Judge Christie Liebenberg during a pre-trial conference of case management review. His murder case was postponed until 19 January 2017 in order to allow the defence lawyer to file his response to the State's questionnaire of the pre-trial memorandum.
The date for the start of the trial will be decided upon in court on 19 January 2017.
Shaningwa's privately-instructed defence lawyer, Slysken Makando, was instructed to file his response to the State's pre-trial memorandum before the Registrar of the High Court no later than 12 January 2017.
Deputy Prosecutor-General Antonia Verhoef has provided the defence lawyer with all the needed documentation that include a charge sheet, a police photo plan, State disclosure and a list of State witnesses to give evidence during trial on behalf of prosecution.
The case was on 29 August 2016 transferred from the Windhoek Magistrate's Court to the High Court by the Office of the Prosecutor-General (PG).
Shaningwa faces three charges namely murder, failure to report an accident within 24 hours after the occurrence of the accident, and defeating the course of the administration of justice for hiding his sedan vehicle allegedly involved in the accident.
Shaningwa remains in police custody at the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility with no option to post bail, as he was refused bail at the end of his formal bail application in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court in August 2015.
He was arrested by police at his family home in Windhoek on 11 August 2015 after being on the run for almost two days.
Shaningwa allegedly fired nine rounds from his pistol, killing Ronni Marco Kristian Uolevi, 42, at around 00h30 on 09 August 2015.
Uolevi allegedly drove into the back of Shaningwa’s car in front of Joker’s Pizzeria and Sports Bar in Bell Street.
After the shooting, Shaningwa allegedly got back into his car and drove off.
The pistol allegedly used during the incident was recovered by investigating officers at the time of his arrest.