Submissions for judgement in Ovitoto murder trial next week

16 Nov 2016 13:20pm
WINDHOEK, 16 NOV (NAMPA) - Presentation of the written submissions for judgement in the trial of double murder accused Julius 'Namab' Dausab, will begin in the High Court here next week.
The 45-year-old Dausab is on trial for the alleged murder of two women at the Okandjira Post in the Ovitoto communal area on 03 June 2009.
The presentation of the written submissions for judgement by both the defence lawyer and prosecution representative will start before presiding Judge Alfred Siboleka on 24 November.
The submissions for judgement will run for two days.
The dates for presentation of the written submissions were decided upon as per an agreement reached by Dausab's government-funded defence lawyer Bradley Basson and prosecution representative, State Advocate Erick Moyo in court Wednesday morning.
Dausab stands accused of killing his late girlfriend Paulina Kenamuni, 28, and her mother Elfrieda Kenamuni, 44, by allegedly shooting them with a hunting rifle at the Okandjira Post in the Otjozondjupa Region’s Ovitoto area.
The younger woman, who previously lived with Dausab in Otjiwarongo, is said to have ended their relationship before moving back to Ovitoto, and this allegedly triggered the events that led to the tragedy.
The accused is said to have driven from Otjiwarongo to the home of his girlfriend's parents at the Okandjira Post in an apparent attempt at reconciliation.
Around midnight on 03 June, according to police and family members, Dausab allegedly knocked at the door of the shack and his girlfriend's mother went to open the door.
At that point, Dausab allegedly pointed the barrel of a .308 hunting rifle through a hole in the door and shot his girlfriend's mother in the chest.
By then Paulina had already been shot dead with the same gun.
Dausab is free on bail of N.dollars 30 000, which was granted after he brought a successful formal bail application in March 2012 before Judge Siboleka.
(NAMPA)
SKE/AS/ND