Three dangerous escapees re-arrested: NamPol

06 Oct 2013 09:00
WINDHOEK, 06 OCT (NAMPA) - Three dangerous sentenced prisoners who allegedly staged an escape from Namibia's top maximum security prison in the early morning hours of Sunday, have been re-arrested.
The trio - Sylvester Beukes, Steven Goagoseb and Hendrik Modise - between 02h00 and 06h00 on Sunday successfully tested the security measures at the Windhoek Central Prison when they managed to escape from the prison facility by allegedly cutting through the burglar bars of their cell’s windows with unknown objects.
The three escapes' bid for freedom was short-lived, as they were all re-arrested by members of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Serious Crime Unit while allegedly hiding in the bushes in the Kapps Farm area, not far from the police roadblock along the main road from Windhoek to the Hosea Kutako International Airport.
They were re-arrested at around 12h45.
Their re-arrest was announced by NamPol spokesperson, Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi at a media briefing here on Sunday afternoon.
“This alleged escape is of a very serious nature and we (NamPol) are thoroughly investigating all the circumstances which led to the escape of these prisoners,” said the police spokesperson.
According to Shikwambi, the three escapees shared a cell at the time of their escape, and they are now back at the Windhoek Central Prison.
Sylvester Beukes and his brother Gavin Beukes were sentenced to a combined total of 670 years in jail for their involvement in the Kareeboomvloer massacre in the Hardap Region’s Kalkrand area. In that incident, a farming couple and six other people were shot dead on 05 March 2005.
Sylvester Beukes was sent to prison for an effective total of 105 years, while his brother Gavin received a total of 84 years.
Rehoboth resident and emerging farmer Stoney Neidel was found guilty of theft and illegal possession of firearms in the same case and sentenced to an effective six years of imprisonment.
Goagoseb is in prison for an effective total of 27 years for murdering City Police officer Anton Matesu in his home in Windhoek's Acacia residential area on the night of 22 January 2005, while Okahandja resident Modise is serving a custodial term at the Windhoek Central Prison for having raped a mentally ill girl on Farm Okarusepa in the Okahandja district in July 2010.