Ex-cop accused of killing own sons terminates lawyer's service

24 Oct 2016 12:30pm
WINDHOEK, 24 OCT (NAMPA)- A former police constable, who allegedly stabbed his two sons to death in Gobabis two years ago, on Monday terminated the service of his government-sponsored defence lawyer.
The former police constable, Albertus !Ganeb, now has new legal representation in the double murder trial.
Africa Jantjies withdrew from the case a few minutes before trial was about to kick-off before High Court Judge Dinah Usiku in the High Court.
!Ganeb parted ways with Janties saying he is no longer interested in the legal service after they could not find a common understanding on how to proceed with the matter.
The Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid instructed Titus Ipumbu to represent !Ganeb during the trial that is now re-scheduled to start Tuesday afternoon as per agreement between State Advocate Palmer Khumalo and Ipumbu.
On 06 October 2016, !Ganeb suffered an early setback when Acting High Court Judge Boas Usiku refused to release him on bail and thereby dismissing his urgent formal bail application.
The acting judge said the totality of the evidence presented before court during the bail hearing clearly shows the brutal manner in which the two boys died at the hands of the appellant.
The two deceased boys, Tirtus Romeo Shaun Swartz (7) and four-year-old Gregory Swartz, were stabbed at the Epako settlement on 25 April 2014.
Tirtus was stabbed four times in the head and once in the neck; while Gregory was stabbed once in the neck, once in the head and once in the back.
The seven-year-old died at the scene while Gregory succumbed to his injuries in the Katutura State Hospital a few days after the incident.
!Ganeb allegedly stabbed his two sons in a fit of jealousy after he had seen a text message from another man on the mobile phone of the children's mother, Romily Swartz.
He then allegedly threatened to kill Romily, the two boys and the person who sent the text message.
!Ganeb remains in custody at Hosea Kutako International Airport police holding cells.